"More than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies each year," according to WebMD. Your Maysville, KY, doctor can help with allergy treatments and testings when you exhibit certain symptoms: itchiness, watery eyes, runny nose, and continuous sneezing, just to name a few.
Allergies affect people all year long, especially during the spring and winter. When flowers bloom and pollen is abundant or when you're cooped up at home because of the cold, allergies can get to you.
Your allergist is likely to recommend allergy testing if you exhibit certain symptoms.
If you suffer from the following symptoms, you need to call your Maysville doctor.
- Itchy skin
- A rash
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Coughing or wheezing
- Chest congestion
- Cramping or diarrhea
- Vomiting after eating certain foods
Your doctor uses the following methods:
You will need to test for allergies to find out exactly what triggers them.
- Skin tests: You're injected with a small dose of allergen. A rash or swelling appearing within 20 minutes indicates you're allergic to the substance. You're not allergic to the substance if there is no response.
- Challenge tests: This is also an exposure test, similar to the skin test. If you inhale or ingest a small amount of the allergen, doctors will be able to determine what foods or medications you're allergic to.
- Blood tests: This test takes longer than the other tests, but it is more accurate. Your doctor draws blood and sends it to a laboratory.
Once your Maysville, KY, doctor identifies what exactly triggers your allergies, there are several types of allergy treatments.
- Allergy shots, usually given every week.
- Sublingual drop therapy, which you can administer at home.
If you are interested in learning more about allergy treatments and testings, call your Maysville, KY, office at (606) 759-4852 today! They will help you determine what you're allergic to and how to treat it.